Thyroid Doctors Brisbane Northside
In Brisbane, patients are increasingly turning to their doctors and GPs for problems related to their thyroids.
The thyroid gland is a part of the body located on the front part of the neck below the Adam’s apple. Thyroid hormones are responsible for regulating body energy and temperature, use of other hormones and nutrients in the body, and growth of tissues in the body.
The thyroid gland, just like any other part of the body, may also cause health issues due to other pre-existing conditions or genetics. Thyroid problems can range from the harmless goiter to the life-threatening big C. The complexity of the thyroid problems is due to the abnormal production of thyroid hormones. The effects of thyroid problems may cause discomfort to the person afflicted but these can be managed if diagnosed correctly and treated at the onset.
What Causes Thyroid Problems?
Hyperthyroidism is a condition where thyroid hormones are overproducing. This accelerates the body’s metabolism and can cause sudden weight loss, arrhythmia, and mood problems. However, there may be other conditions that contribute to this problem such as:
- Toxic adenomas. The thyroid gland develops nodules, which causes thyroid hormones to secrete and the body’s chemical balance disrupted.
- Subacute thyroiditis. The thyroid gland becomes inflamed, which results in overproduction of thyroid hormones. This can last several weeks and stretch for months.
- Cancerous growth in the thyroid. This condition is rare but can cause hyperthyroidism.
- Pituitary gland malfunctions. This is also a rare condition but can likewise cause hyperthyroidism.
At one hand, there is also a condition where the thyroid becomes under active. The condition is called hypothyroidism, a disorder in the endocrine system which the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. As a result, the person afflicted may experience difficulties tolerating cold temperature, feelings of tiredness, constipation, and weight gain. There are conditions that contribute to hypothyroidism such as:
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. This is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid tissue. As a result, the thyroid ceases to produce hormones.
- Removal of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland may be removed through surgery or through an introduction of chemicals to disable the body part.
- Exposure to unrestrained amounts of iodide. There is a greater risk of hypothyroidism if an individual is exposed to medicines rich in iodine, such as cold and sinus medicines and heart medicines.
What are Some of the Symptoms of Having Thyroid Problems?
There may be other symptoms of thyroid problems, but these are the frequently encountered problems of individuals who are later diagnosed with thyroid problems:
- Weight gain
- Poor memory
- Poor concentration
- Mood Swings
- Muscle pains
- Intolerance of cold temperature
- Hair loss
What Treatments are Available for Thyroid Problems?
There are several medications available for thyroid problems such as beta-blockers, propylthiouracil, methimazole, and radioactive iodine therapy for hyperthyroidism and L-thyroxine, triiodothyronine, and thyroid extract for hypothyroidism.
For nodules and goitre, the above-mentioned treatments can also be given. Surgery can also be recommended by an endocrinologist, if necessary.
Treating Thyroid Conditions – The Natural Alternative
It is essential when treating thyroid conditions to find the cause of your thyroid dysfunction. Successfully treating the cause will stop a lifetime dependence on medications.
Two of the major contributors to thyroid dysfunction are stress and a diet lacking in the essential thyroid nutrients. Indeed, chronic stress (and it doesn’t even need to be high stress – just low level, constant stress) is a major contributor to almost all major health issues! If your diet doesn’t supply enough of the nutrients essential for thyroid health, or if your digestive system isn’t absorbing these nutrients adequately, your thyroid will not be able to function properly.
Our Naturopath, Andrea Southern, has extensive experience in thyroid conditions. She will analyse your diet to ensure you are feeding your body the nutrients essential for thyroid health, treat any digestive issues and help, through herbs, nutrients and lifestyle coaching, to manage your stress.
Here is a link to an article by Andrea with more information about Hypothyroidism.
Get in touch with our Naturopath, Andrea Southern, for more enquiries about the natural alternatives to treating Thyroid conditions. You can send her a message through this link on her website, or call her on 0412 791 705 to book an appointment.