Why bulletproof dieting should be your New Year’s resolution…January 11, 2019
With every New Year, comes a new resolution. We most often generate resolutions with the aim to develop our knowledge and learn something new or, very famously, get fitter and healthier. One solution to the latter could be the adoption of a bulletproof diet.
What is a bulletproof diet?
A bulletproof diet is a research-based course of meal that aims to reduce toxicity and fat molecules in our body and replace them with bulletproof nutrients that will make the brain and body healthier. It follows an intermittent fasting diet plan, which consists of:
- High levels of healthy and organic fats;
- High amounts of vegetables;
- Moderate amounts of protein; and
- Low amounts of carbohydrates.
What benefits does bulletproof dieting have?
Bulletproof dieting provides increased levels of energy and concentration and also augments happiness and satisfaction. Hormones are stimulated into increased effective and efficient performance, which in turn, enhances cognitive function and reduces risks for the onset of severe diseases. Additionally, it also helps lose excessive fat in the body and make you thrive towards a healthier living.
Unlike many other dieting programs, bulletproof dieting method gives the freedom to experiment and tailor it according to one’s needs, requirements and convenience. Furthermore, it is very easy to follow and is not a statistical nightmare, involving calorie counting or other measurements.
What are some examples of bulletproof foods?
- Beverages: bulletproof coffee and green tea;
- Vegetables: cilantro, bok choy (cooked), and asparagus;
- Oils and fats: Avocado oil, pastured eggs and chocolate and cocoa butter;
- Nuts and legumes: coconut and olives;
- Dairy: organic grass-fed butter and organic grass-fed ghee;
- Protein: grass-fed beef and lamb and wild fish;
- Starch: sweet potato, yam, carrot and pumpkin;
- Fruit: blackberries, cranberries, lemon and avocado; and
- Spices: apple cider vinegar, turmeric and oregano.
If you would like more examples of bulletproof foods, click here.
Note: most bulletproof foods must be raw or uncooked, or lightly heated.
How to start a bulletproof diet?
Below are the recommended quantities per meal:
- Vegetables: 6 to 11 servings
- Oils and fats: 5 to 9 servings
- Protein: 4 to 6 servings
- Fruit or starch: 1 to 2 serving
Here are 8 steps to start following for a bulletproof diet :
- Eliminate sugar and substitute it with healthy fats;
- Switch to grass-fed meat and wild caught seafood;
- Eliminate grains and gluten;
- Eliminate artificial additives and flavourings;
- Eliminate legumes and switch to organic fruits and vegetables;
- Remove all processed and pasteurized dairy;
- Cook your food gently; and
- Limit fruit consumption to 1-2 servings per day.
 Source: blog.bulletproof.com
Do remember to listen to your body and to adjust amounts according to your satisfaction levels and how you feel.
At Ubuntu Medical, we believe strongly in the necessity for innovation in the field of medical health to ensure your utmost well-being.
Our friendly medical staff will happily discuss with you about bulletproof dieting and can assist you with the planning of any diet. You can consult our Naturopath, Herbalist and Nutritionist, Andrea Southern, who can provide you with further information.