Children’s GP Brisbane Northside
As parents we will worry whenever our child gets sick. The good news is that the majority of children’s illnesses are viral infections that are short-term in nature with no long term health consequences.
What Are Common Childhood Illnesses?
Upper respiratory infections are common reasons why children get sick. The upside to your child getting the common cold or flu is that it will build their immune system. In regards to these infections, the parent has to decide whether they wish to give their child antibiotics to fight the infection. At Ubuntu Medical, your GP will discuss (and provide advice) for your situation. Our Brisbane childhood specialist GPs are mindful not to give antibiotics out unnecessarily.
Some parents are worried, especially in the early years that their child seems to be sick all the time. The good news is that there is no link between how many GP visits you have in the early years and how healthy they will be in later years. On the whole, serious illness are quite rare.
Medium -Long Term Children’s Health Issues
- Bed Wetting
- Allergies. Our GPs will be able to organise allergy testing and determine what food you suspect your child may be allergic to.
- Headaches. If severe enough our GPs will prescribe tritans. There are also preventative medications that can also be prescribed.
- Collic – Excessive crying for more than 4 hours per day, for 3+ days per week over at least 3-4 weeks. Our GPs may prescribe a probiotic to help treat the condition.
- Sleep Problems. It is recommended that you download the Sleep App from the Apple App Store to monitor sleep patterns. The GP may refer you to our psychologist to develop some good sleep hygiene routines.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea – usually caused by enlarged tonsils and symptoms include the child snoring of a nighttime and problems breathing. Sleep is extremely important in children. Poor sleep can affect concentration, difficulties learning and even hyperactivity. A referral to a ENT specialist will be the recommended course of action for Sleep Apnoea.
Children get sick a lot and trips to your Brisbane GP will be expected, even if it is for reassurance. This is why you need to find the right GP for you and someone who you and your children can form a long-term relationship with.