How to Get Rid of PimplesFebruary 03, 2019
Acne is the most common skin condition anyone can have, whether you are a young person or an adult. It is characterized by red pimples on the surface of the skin. In an environment which emphasises importance on physical appearance, having acne is difficult. It also may indicate other underlying health conditions and has effects on one’s mental and emotional well-being. So, how to get rid of pimples?
There are many ways to get rid of pimples (or zits) from home treatments to dermatological procedures. Before taking any of these, it is important to visit a dermatologist since they are experts in all matters of the skin and have knowledge about overall health.
Causes of Pimples
- Health conditions like stress, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Bacterial infection
- Poor diet and lifestyle
Simple Remedies to Treat Acne
Tea tree oil is a very common method to get rid of acne as it fights inflammation and acne-causing bacteria. Just do a spot treatment of tea tree oil with a cotton swab to a freshly washed face one to two times per day, as needed. This ingredient is very potent and might cause redness and irritation if you are not careful, so it should be used with caution. Tea tree oil is available in major drug stores.
A hydrocolloid dressing is a small adhesive bandage used to lessen the swelling of an angry, obvious pimple. The dressing absorbs pus and oil from the inflamed spot and prevent the growth of bacteria, and reduce a sore pimple overnight. The bandage makes a pimple less visible until it is good as gone.
Over-the-counter medications such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and sulfur are spot treatments used to get rid of acne. Benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria inside the pore and dries out the pimples. Salicylic acid dissolves dead skin cells and extracts the gunk from within the pore through spot treatments. Sulfur soaks up the gunk and calms the skin.
Why Visit a Dermatologist?
Visiting a dermatologist for getting rid of pimples offers more sophisticated options for treatment. Dermatologists at Ubuntu Medical not only address the acne, but they also work on the overall wellness of the skin with various treatments, and medication. Some acne treatments include:
- Intralesional injection is a procedure of administering diluted cortisone called Kenalog which shoots directly to the nodular or cystic lesions, resulting in rapid improvement and less pain.
- Microdermabrasion is a treatment that involves removing the top layer of the skin to remove blackheads and whiteheads, which is also a type of acne.
- Chemical peels work by peeling away the top layer of the skin with acne with the use of a chemical solution such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid or retinoic acid.
- Laser therapy uses a focused light tool to reduce acne-causing bacteria from the skin.
Want to know more? Call Ubuntu Medical Stafford on (07) 3857 3777 to speak with our practice nurse about how to get rid of pimples for good!
At Ubuntu Medical, we also do Blackheads Removal.